- Download PuTTY. The "putty.exe" download is good for basic SSH.
- Save the download to your C:\WINDOWS folder.
- If you want to make a link to PuTTY on your desktop:
- Open the C:\WINDOWS folder in Windows Explorer.
- Right click on the putty.exe file and select Send To > Desktop
- Double-click on the putty.exe program or the desktop shortcut to launch the application.
- Enter your connection settings:
- Click Open to start the SSH session.
- If this is your first time connecting to the server from this computer, you will see the following output. Accept the connection by clicking Yes.
- Once the SSH Connection is open, you should see a terminal prompt asking for your username:
Connect with your SSH user of choice.
- Next, enter your password. Please note that you will NOT see your cursor moving, or any characters typed when typing your password. This is a standard PuTTY security feature. Hit enter.
Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password:
- You are now logged into your server with SSH.